Google+ Followers

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Shrimp, Potato Salad and Baked Beans and Champagne

The hugs, the laughter, the tears, the pictures, the exaggerated "shots" of the day and the "trophies" are tucked in our hearts and memories until we do it all over again next year at the 32nd annual MJL memorial golf outing. When it comes to the food served it is an array of favorite snacks, easy to make and serve dishes, and a few "absolutes" that folks count on...knowing my interest in food and cooking one attendee said "This stuffed cabbage is really good, did you make it?" No, that would be my baby sister, I replied. "And the pulled pork, delicious..." That would be my baby sister. "And who did the smoked turkey?" That would be my baby sister. "The food is really good..." I made the caprese salad, I offered. "Oh I missed that." Consolation - I did beat my baby sister in golf this year! But she does deserve a standing O for pleasing the crowd year after year with her main dishes!

So on the Fourth of July it was down to just the two of us and that was fine... Although the 4th is the birthday of our country and not complete without baked beans and fireworks, it was also an anniversary for us (one of the 4 that we celebrate). A quiet dinner for two with baked beans and champagne seemed to cover it all.


The Shrimp Kebobs



I have posted similar kebobs in August 2010 and August 2012, but with most dishes I change it up a little. This time the glaze included evoo, cognac, fresh ginger, minced garlic and apple juice. The minced garlic is added to skillet of hot evoo. Once the garlic is soft the other ingredients are added and then reduced. I browned the pre-cooked chicken sausage with jalapeno and then cubed. to match the size of the shrimp. The kabobs were brushed with the glaze, grilled for 5 minutes (turning once) on a 450 degree grill.








Lemony Arugula Potato Salad


This recipe was adapted from the June 2010 Cooking Light and my first preparation of it was posted June 2010. This time the potatoes were boiled until tender and then peeled and cubed. I sauteed two shallots in evoo and then added 1 tsp of grated lemon peel, a tbl of fresh lemon juice, two healthy splashes of pinot grigio vinegar, and two tbls of whole grain Dijon mustard. Immediately prior to serving I added the arugula and tossed the mixture with the dressing.







Baked Beans
What can you say about a can of baked beans! But adding a little barbecue sauce (Yuengling Porter Hickory Smoked) and a tbl of brown sugar make them very yummy and fills my craving for a year.

And best of all the Veuve Cliquot!



Enjoy,
Jo





No comments: