Google+ Followers

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Chicken and Tofu on Crispy Kale

A restaurant meal and a farmers market on a recent trip to Chicago inspired this meal. When my husband tries something new and healthy and likes it, I jump at the chance to prepare it and such was the Kale. Dining at Perennial Virant with the youngest daughter, son-in-law and niece, my husband's beef entree included crispy kale which was new to him...The following day the Kale was in abundance at the Farmers Market, from dinosaur kale to kale chips. One of the booths had a variety of Tofu so I mentally made a note that when returning home I would have to come up with something that combined the two but had to be tasty enough that he would enjoy it. He is just not a kale/tofu kind of guy.


The Kale.
The kale was rinsed and dried. After removing the hard middle veins/stems I tossed the kale in evoo and a small amount of sea salt and spread on a cookie sheet to bake in a 375 degree oven for 15 minutes.




The Veggies


Chopped Broccoli, sliced garlic, onion, and red bell pepper were added to a skillet and sauteed in evoo. The mixture was removed when the veggies were tender.




The Entree: Chicken and Tofu on Crispy Kale


I cubed the chicken tenders and tofu and tossed them in egg white, then a Yengling hot sauce (medium) and then coated them with panko crumbs. Evoo was added to the skillet and the chicken and tofu were browned. I put them in a small casserole dish and finished in the oven for about 10 minutes to ensure that the chicken was adequately done. Prior to serving I placed the chicken, tofu, and veggies back in the skillet for about 3 minutes while I placed the crispy kale on the dishes.

I added thinly sliced watermelon to cool the taste of the salt and or the tang of the hot sauce. I must say the watermelon was a great last minute thought and did the trick of soothing the palate.







The Wine: 2009 Las Rocas Garnacha. This was a gift to my husband from the Chicago daughter and son-in law. Surprisingly not too heavy of a wine for this meal, rather it was actually very very good.


Enjoy,
Jo

1 comment:

The Sullivans said...

Another wonderful recipe! The grenache seems like a nice pairing.

Chapeau, chef!