Google+ Followers

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Molasses Coated Salmon

It was the last day of May and finally, our first meal of the season on the deck! I was trying to think of yet another (new) way to prepare Salmon. As I was staring into the pantry the jar of molasses said "pick me." I thought why not - there is "Pittsburgh Steak" why not Pittsburgh Salmon. I have heard several versions of how a piece of beef "pittsburgh style" was created. The one story, nothing to do with molasses nor can I verify it.... my husband tells me that it was the steel workers who took their chunk of beef to work and cooked it on the hot steel furnaces to sear the outside. He is not from Pittsburgh so.....

Now the molasses. I had a favorite restaurant in the area where I grew up and where my mom still lives. The family goes there quite often. Back when I ate beef, "Jess's Petite Filet" was the best! I was told that it was prepared Pittsburgh Style - it was coated with molasses and seared on the hot grill. I can't verify this version either but it was crisp on the outside and cooked to perfection (medium rare) on the inside.

The Salmon


I coated both sides of the salmon filets with molasses and fresh ground black pepper. The filets were grilled at about 450 degrees for six minutes on one side, flipped and cooked for another three. Pittsburgh Style or just molasses style it turned out quite nice.


Salad and Side
The salad was my left over lunch of the largest caprese salad I have seen to date. The side of asparagus was the one I posted recently - the roasted (this time on the grill) asparagus with pine nuts and parmesan.




"Dessert". We finished the meal with sliced pear and blue cheese.

Wine: 2010 TRECINI Pinot Noir. A gift from friends - it was very very good.

Enjoy,
Jo


No comments: