Google+ Followers

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Crushed Beet Salad and Veggie Burgers

This meal was inspired/adapted from two recipes in two different cooking magazines - the may issue of Food and Wine and the April/May issue of vegetarian times.

The day after a conversation about how I prepared beets, I saw the recipe for "Crushed Beet Salad" in Food and Wine. Perfect! And, the recipe for "Now or Later Vegan Burgers" in a recently purchased issue of vegetarian times looked interesting. I had made veggie burgers a few times but they always turned out bland - this new recipe had many ingredients so I thought it was worth a try.


Crushed Beet Salad


As typical, I made a few adaptations to the Food and Wine recipe. But basically I roasted the head of garlic in foil for about 30 minutes in a 375 degree oven while the beets simmered on the stove top. After peeling the beets I sliced them, and cooked them in a skillet in evoo until slightly crusty. I added shallots, thyme, rosemary and the roasted head of garlic. These were cooked until the shallots were soft. The beets, shallots and herbs were then placed on top of a plate of arugula. The roasted garlic cloves, squeezed from the skins were scattered on top as was the juices from the skillet. I added crumbled goat cheese to my version.

The Veggie Burgers


Using the vegetarian times recipe as a guide I included black beans, onion, carrot, rolled oats, garlic,parsley, added red bell pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, cayenne and processed in a food processor until combined. The mixture was shaped into patties and refrigerated for about an hour. The burgers were cooked in a skillet for about 5 minutes on each side. Swiss cheese was placed on each burger before removing from skillet. The buns were spread with Maille Old Style whole grain Dijon Mustard. And of course no burger is complete without lettuce, tomato and onion.

Very diverse tastes and I probably will not serve the beet salad and the burger in the same meal again, but would most certainly make both of them in the future.

Enjoy,
Jo

No comments: