Google+ Followers

Monday, March 18, 2013

Parm Crusted White Fish and Mac and Cheese

It has been six weeks since Punxantawney Phil predicted we would have an early Spring. I am waiting.



This colorful duo of a "prized" ceramic and bouquet keeps me hopeful that Spring is out there!

In the mean time here is a cold weather dish - mac and cheese. There are so many ways to make this dish - I tend to combine with the obligatory cheddar any and sometimes all the different cheeses I have in the frig. My spouse does not eat mac and cheese of any kind so on this night I added fish and also served him a store prepared cole slaw.

The Mac and Cheese



For the sauce I melted a tablespoon of butter, stirred in shredded very sharp new york cheddar, and 4 other types of cheddar from a store prepared package, a small amount of blue cheese, and a healthy chunk of goat cheese. As it was melting I added 1/4c of chicken broth, a splash of half and half and a splash of cream sherry and stirred to a very creamy texture. I seasoned it with fresh ground black pepper. I added cooked whole grain elbow pasta and topped it with a mixture of the panko, parm and powdered mustard that I had prepared for the fish crust (see below). I baked for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. It was delicious and I had two days of left overs. There are a few things I am glad my guy does not like!

Parm Crusted White Fish



The March issue of bon appetit has a recipe for Parmesan Chicken Cutlets from which this fish is adapted. For the crust I combined panko, parm, powered mustard and fresh ground black pepper. The fish, orange roughy, was dredged in flour, dipped in a beaten egg and then coated with the panko mixture. The fish was browned in the skillet and when almost cooked was placed in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes to ensure that it was thoroughly done.

Enjoy and think SPRING!
Jo

No comments: