Google+ Followers

Friday, February 8, 2013

Sun-dried Tomato/ Olive Spread, Salmon wi Balsamic Caper Sauce

Another trip through an airport and another issue of Food&Wine. Why don't I just subscribe to this magazine? - and spoil my airport routine!! Surving airports is helped by an issue of the NYT and the latest F&W. And if it is a long wait or a long flight I can plan upcoming dishes. The "Tangy Sun-Dried Tomato and Olive Dip" looked interesting and perfect for conversation while preparing the meal. On many occasions I made an olive tapenade and a sun-dried tomato tapenade, so the combination of the two main ingredients sounded interesting.






Appetizer: Sun-dried Tomato and Olive Spread
Note I did not call it "dip." To me a dip sticks to the chip or veggie stick when it is "dipped" in - like the good old onion dip, which I never buy or make, but must confess when others serve salty potato chips and store bought onion dip I have been known to eat more than my share.

Now the "spread." I cut the recipe in half since I was only making it for two. The sun-dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, capers, garlic, crushed red pepper, balsamic vinegar, and oregano were pureed in a food processor until chunky. Adding the evoo and processing it a few seconds more made it a finer paste. What I did not do that F&W did, was add bread and warm water to the mixture. Maybe the water is what gives it the "dip" factor but then the photograph in the magazine did not look like dip texture. I served it with toasted flatbread. It was quite tasty, but I think I prefer the two separate tapenades.

Entree: Salmon with Balsamic-Caper Sauce
I have made this sauce for tuna and referred to it in one of my earliest blogs. It comes from a recipe in January 2009 issue of F&W and is used with a polenta crusted chicken.

For two servings I heat a tbsp evoo and stir in a tbsp of tomato paste, stir until paste shimmers. I then stir in 1/4c balsamic vinegar, 1/8 c of chicken broth (F&W uses water), 2 tbsp of capers, and a 1/2 teaspoon of sugar. When it is thickened, it is removed from the heat and swirled with a 1/2 tbsp of butter.

Side: Roasted Asparagus.
Tossed with evoo and roasted at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes.

Wine: Etude Pinot Noir. A favorite.

Enjoy,
Jo

2 comments:

The Sullivans said...

Thank you for the sun-dried tomatoes/olive tapenade idea! I think that I make a nice black olive tapenade but adding sun-dried tomatoes is genius.

If you HAD to choose a non-American wine, what varietal would it be?

Jo Lally said...

It may not show on my blog, but I really do prefer French and Italian wines. We love Sangiovese and Montepulciano. and of course French burgundy and Champagne.