Google+ Followers

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Flatbread Appetizer and Chicken Pot Pie


Another evening of a appetizer and conversation while preparing the meal. I had some of the sun-dried tomato and olive spread left, but thought it would be too much too spread on the entire rectangle of flatbread so I prepared half of it with chopped fresh basil, garlic and parmesan.


The Appetizer: Flatbread with Sun-dried Tomato Spread and Basil-Parmesan
I brushed the Stonefire Flatbread with olive oil and on one-half crushed garlic and heated in a 400 degree oven on a preheated pizza stone. After removing it from the oven one half was spread with the sd tomato and olive mixture and the other half with the chopped basil and parmesan cheese. We enjoyed it with a glass of Penfolds Bin 138.

I recently purchased two small casserole/tureens at a bargain price and decided they were the perfect size for individual pot pies.

Entree: Chicken Pot Pie



A small piece of butter and evoo were heated and then sliced crimini and shitake mushrooms were sautéed. Diced chicken pieces, dusted with flour, and chopped garlic was added to the pot. When mushrooms were tender and chicken was partially browned I tossed in some Marsala. When that was reduced I added a tsp of chicken demi glace, about a cup of chicken broth and fresh ground black pepper. As it reduced I added the pearl onions that I had boiled and peeled earlier. Chopped frozen peas and carrots were added and I let it simmer for about 10 mins.

The chicken and vegetables were spooned into the two individual tureens. I added more chicken broth and Marsala to the liquid and let reduce slightly then stirred in some flour/broth mixture to slightly thicken the sauce. The sauce was poured over the chicken in the tureens. For the crust I used pillsbury sheet dough which I brushed with thyme and sage. The pot pies were baked for about 12-15 minutes at 400 degrees. The edges were brown and crispy but the center even though was hard to the touch was a tad underdone. The chicken and vegetables were very good - the Marsala certainly enhanced the flavor. The next time I will go back to using puff pastry for the top.

The wine: Sonoma Cutrer Pinot Noir. Yes, one of our favorites that we do not get often enough because the winery does not ship to our state and our local stores do not carry it.

Enjoy,
Jo



No comments: