Google+ Followers

Thursday, January 3, 2013

NYD Pork and Sauerkraut, What Else?

Not sure why pork and sauerkraut are traditional for New Year's Day. And not sure why I give in and make it in some form every year. I don't eat pork...except on NYD. And typically there is always potatoes, usually scalloped. But this year I wanted to be creative. Thank you Bon Appetit.
The November 2012 issue had several potato recipes and I selected Mini Herbed Pommes Anna.


Mini Herbed Pommes Anna (with parmesan)

I followed the recipe which included Yukon Gold potatoes, thyme, garlic, salt and ground pepper. I added grated parmesan. These were fun to make. Using a muffin tin the cups were brushed with butter and lined on the bottom with parchment paper. The chopped thyme (my herb garden is still alive, coated with snow, but alive) and garlic were aded to the melted butter. The potatoes are thinly sliced, and mixed with the butter, garlic and thyme. This is where I added grated parmesan. The potatoes were then layered in a circular pattern in the muffin cups. Covered with aluminum foil the potatoes were baked at 350 for about 35 minutes. They were then inverted onto a cookie sheet and baked at 425 for 25 minutes. Yummy!


Pork and Sauerkraut

I browned a pork tenderloin in a large pan and added rinsed sauerkraut, a cup of chicken broth and a tablespoon of brown sugar. This simmered for about four hours. What else can you say about pork and sauerkraut.

Pretty bland looking meal (hope this is not a forecast for 2013). Because we had enjoyed a bottle of Veuve Clicquot Brut a few hours earlier, we did not have wine with dinner. A red would have been great with the potatoes, but I don't believe would have worked with the sauerkraut.

Enjoy,
Jo





No comments: