Google+ Followers

Friday, January 4, 2013

Not Just Soup and Salad



Another salad, another soup - aaahh not so, or at least not the soup.

Chopped Salad. Iceberg lettuce, with chopped onions, celery, red bell pepper, olives, cherry tomatoes, a small wedge of blue cheese and shredded cheddar cheese. The dressing was evoo, balsamic vinegar and fresh ground black pepper. Colorful and tasty but just a prelude to the best "french" onion soup I have had - seriously.

And why is it called "French Onion Soup?" Seems this soup can be traced to the Romans, but the modern day version from the 18th century is a beef broth with carmelized onions and topped with a crouton and melted guryere cheese. The crouton is "reminiscent of ancient times." The word soup is from the French word soup which means broth. Enough!

Onion Soup. I caramelized the onions, shallots and leeks in butter and evoo, but I did it on a lower heat and for longer than I have in the past. I added a splash of cognac and used creamed sherry instead of just sherry. I added a small amount of beef broth and reduced the liquid and then added chicken broth and simmered for about 30 minutes. The soup was ladled into bowls, topped with crusty bread, a slice of provolone and a slice of mozzarella and put under the broiler until the cheese was melted and bubbly. Wow! I only wish I had made enough for the next day.

Enjoy
Jo










2 comments:

Chris Hunter said...

Chuck Hunter would have loved that French Onion soup! (Extra especially if Bony Joni made it for him)

Jo Lally said...

I think that was "skinny bones," but boni joni works. Chuck liked my mushroom soup but I never had the chance to make him onion soup.