Google+ Followers

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Roasted Red Pepper Soup/Asparagus and Carrot Medley




Roasted red bell peppers are one of my favorites – in sandwiches, appetizers, in salad, pasta, on a antipasti platter etal. And knowing that it is one of the healthiest foods available makes it even more attractive.

This was a soup that I first made in another life time, but was reminded how much I like it when the NYT Sunday Magazine ran an article on red bell peppers a few months ago. I reference this magazine a lot – many times it provides a variety of ways to prepare or use a certain item - tomatoes, red peppers, bacon, pears to name a few recent examples; or at other times various salads, desserts, or soups. It is a great source of inspiration and ideas.

This particular RRPSoup is a combination of my memory, the NYT article and what I had on hand.

Entrée: Roasted Red Pepper Soup. The RRP was sautéed with onion and garlic and pureed in the food blender. The amount of RRP was equivalent to 2 whole bell peppers. Fresh herbs, thyme, oregano, sage and basil were added along with beef and chicken broth, a small squirt of tomato paste and fresh ground black pepper and a tiny amount of sea salt. I like this soup somewhat creamy but without adding cream so the amount of broth I use keeps the thickness rather than diluting it. I topped the bowls with parmesan wafers (noted in previous entry).

Side: Balsamic Asparagus and Carrot Medley. The asparagus was steamed and the carrots were finely shredded. The balsamic vinegar was reduced over a medium heat until thick. The vegetables were plated and drizzled with the balsamic vinegar.

A store purchased flatbread was drizzled with evoo, garlic and shopped basil and heated per package directions.

The photo above of the RRP soup is not indicative of the quality – it was very very good and one that I will make again soon. I just chose to highlight the side dish because it was a colorful addition!

Enjoy,
Jo

No comments: