Google+ Followers

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Chicken Salad on Zucchini Bread



Several years ago a photo of zucchini bread in the New York Times Sunday Magazine inspired me to make a loaf. The following day I was preparing chicken salad and thought that it would make a nice combo for mini sandwiches. It was a surprise to those I served but all agreed the sandwiches were very tasty. Over the years I have seen various recipes for zucchini bread and accompaniments - so I am not sure why it took me so long to try to duplicate the dish. Unless it was my “fear of baking!”

While making chicken salad from a store prepared chicken, I recalled the zucchini bread and had a green and yellow zucchini in the frig. Using several cookbooks as references and an internet recipe (one cannot be too cautious when baking – or should I say, I need to reassure myself about attempting to bake) I prepared the bread.

Chicken Salad: This was a very simple salad which included chopped chicken, onion, celery, a teaspoon of sweet relish and a mixture of mayonnaise and Miracle Whip. The bread was cut in squares and served with the salad on top. Lettuce, cherry tomatoes and a small wedge of blue cheese were served on the side. Like red sauce, if blue cheese is served with something, my spouse will eat it.

This was certainly not an elaborate dinner or even one to linger over with a good bottle of wine, and may even make a better luncheon dish, but we both had seconds.

Enjoy,
Jo

No comments: