Google+ Followers

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Chicken and Biscuits




This week's meal planning was inspired by several recipes in the November issue of Food and Wine Magazine. As a routine,when I am in airports I pick up the latest issue of the cooking magazine that I do not subscribe to – Over the years I have alternated subscriptions among Food and Wine, Bon Appétit, Cooking Light and Gourmet (R.I.P)
So at Midway in Chicago (much nicer than O’Hare the nightmare) I purchased F&W and circled the dishes I wanted to try.

I came across a Vidalia Onion Soufflé which I am going to include in a Thanksgiving Brunch so stay tuned, or if you make it first let me know how it turned out!

So far this week I have made or adapted the Chicken and Biscuits; White Bean Flatbreads with Prosciutto and Cheese; Root Vegetable Minestrone; and Chicken in Pineapple Sauce. I will not be doing a post on the latter – it was most likely my adaptation but it was sooooo bland and we did not even have a bottle of wine to console our taste buds. ….note- not that we did not have wine in the house (heavens!) we just did not open one.

But today I will offer the Chicken and Biscuit Meal.

Entrée: Chicken and Biscuits. I followed the recipe which includes sautéing shallots, mushrooms and carrots in butter; adding the dry white wine and stirring in a tablespoon of flour and chicken broth; boiling and then reducing and seasoned with fresh ground pepper. The prepared rotisserie chicken and peas are added and the pot is simmered until thick.

The self-rising flour is mixed in a food processor with fresh chopped sage and thyme, and butter. Small spoon fulls of the biscuit mix are placed on top of the Chicken and baked in the oven. After 25 minutes the pot sits under the broiler for 1-2 minutes until biscuits are browned.

Delicious and oh so comforting on a rainy and cloudy Fall evening.

Wine: Meoimi

Dessert: Sliced Pear and Lemon Stilton on Sweet Olive Oil Torta. The pears were steamed in Cognac, and cooled. The sliced pears and crumbled Lemon Stilton were put on top of a store purchased torta and drizzled with the reduced cognac. NICE!

Enjoy,
Jo


No comments: