Google+ Followers

Friday, August 3, 2012

Heirloom Tomatoes with Feta on Olive Bread




Thanks to all who asked about my absence. I have a lot of dishes to share with you but here is one that I prepared this week.

Inspired by the August cover recipe on bon appetit ,with a couple of variations, this dish was great and a perfect summer evening on the deck dinner!

The local winery has a Farmer's Market once a week - I have not had a chance to go this summer until this week. I went specifically to pick up something for dinner -when I saw the heirloom tomatoes the cover of the bon appetit magazine flashed in my head.

A local Bakery has a table at the market and the kalamata olive bread looked scrumptious.

Entree: Heirloom Tomatoes with Feta on Olive Bread. The bread slices were toasted and drizzled with evoo. Layers of tomatoes, sliced feta cheese, and thinly sliced purple onion were added and drizzed with more evoo and topped with ground black pepper,fresh basil and oregano.

Wine: Badia a Coltibuono 2009 Chianti Classico Nice!!

At the farmer's market I also purchased beautiful gladiolus. My husband remarked how the colors matched the dinner food. Those who know me, know I am obsessed with matching and coordinating clothes, rooms, table settings, etc, but the colors in the flowers and the reds, yellows and purple in the tomato dish were a pure coincidence.
But I do appreciate his observation!

Enjoy,
Jo