Google+ Followers

Monday, September 19, 2011

Late Summer Gazpacho




On August 24 2010 I offered a Gazpacho dish. This is similar, but this time I did not add fresh kernels of corn and I pureed the vegetables more and then topped with larger chucks of tomato, cucumber, red bell pepper and onion, and garnished with large basil leaves. No matter which recipe is used, the final taste of any Gazpacho is so dependent on the freshness and variety of the tomatoes which makes each year's batch a little different.

Before starting I typically check the recipes in Mediterranean Diet Cookbook and the The New Basics Silver Palette. and then stick to the the one I know best:

Tomatoes - I used plum, locally grown fresh harvest
Cucumbers - peeled and seeded
Red Pepper
Small hot pepper
Onion
Shallot
Garlic
Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar - most recipes call for Sherry Vinegar, but I used what I had in the pantry
Tomato Juice
Fresh oregano, thyme and basil
Fresh ground back pepper

I slightly sauteed the garlic and shallot this time and then added to the rest of the ingredients (with the exception of the fresh herbs). The batch was then chilled and prior to serving I stirred in the fresh herbs and topped with the chunkier veggies.

The soup was served with crusty bread.

Wine: 2009 Paraiso Pinot Noir. An inexpensive PN recommended by the great guys at Binny's in Chicago.

Enjoy,
Jo

No comments: