Google+ Followers

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Minestrone



It does not seem like winter is going to end here in Ohio. Temperatures down in the 30s and 20s again, and that means more soup. I have made more soup in three months than I have in the last five years. This recipe is adapted from the West Point Market Cookbook and the Italian Family Cookbook.

The Soup: Minestrone. I sauteed carrots, shallots, celery and prosciutto, then added chicken broth, potatoes, canned tomatoes,zucchini, and white beans. I added fresh ground pepper and cooked over a medium to low until the potatoes were tender. About 5minutes before serving I added asparagus, followed by frozen peas. Immediately prior to serving I stirred in some arugula. After putting the soup in the bowl, I topped with previously prepared pesto.

We both agreed it was a very delicious minestrone. Served with crusty bread and Chianti it made for a great meal!

Enjoy,
Jo

No comments: