Google+ Followers

Saturday, February 5, 2011

A Polenta Duo and Colorful Side




This was a fun dinner to make and to eat! I remember the first time I had polenta...I was an adult and after a several hour drive on a winter night I came home to a polenta dish. At first I was disappointed thinking this was not much of a meal. But it was topped with a tasty mushroom mixture - a quite yummy and comforting dish.

When I made polenta squares for the Christmas Day Brunch I was reminded of that first time...and vowed that soon I would try to duplicate the mushroom topping for a meal. So I got carried away ...

The Entree: Polenta Duo. I followed the recipe on the Instant Polenta box, but added Parmesan cheese to the mixture and sauteed the squares in olive oil flavored with garlic cloves.

Mushroom topping - A variety of fresh, but a few dried mushrooms and shallots were sauteed in a small amount of butter, splashed with sherry and chicken broth, reduced, splashed with sherry and chicken broth and reduced.

Tomato topping - Small tomatoes, strawberry size) were sauteed with basil,and garlic in olive oil and seasoned with fresh ground pepper.

Aftr plating and topping with the two mixtures, Parmesan cheese was grated over the two polenta squares.

The Colorful Side: Julienned zucs and carrots were sauteed in olive oil, splashed with chicken broth and seasoned with herb de provence.

Wine: Viticcio 2007 Chianti Classico Riserva. These Italian wines are wonderful.

It is definelty a dish I will try again.

Enjoy,
Jo

No comments: