Google+ Followers

Monday, January 31, 2011

Chicken and Tagliatelle Soup



Another night for soup...will winter ever end...and tonite the forecast is more snow with ice.

When we were in Italy, seems so long ago, we enjoyed some dishes made with a flat pasta and I came upon it in a small Italian deli in our city and thought it would make a hearty soup.

The soup: I heated garlic cloves in olive oil, removed the garlic,sauteed the chicken, tossed in a splash of sherry and chicken broth, reduced and removed the chicken. Adding a little more olive oil I sauteed the veggies - peeled pearl onions, carrots, and mushrooms until almost tender. Added broth and sherry to the pan and reduced, but not completely. I returned the chicken to the pan, added about 3 to 4 cups of broth and simmered. I use the College Inn Bold Rotisserie Chicken broth.

As I put the pasta on to cook, I tossed peas into the soup. After draining the pasta I added it to the soup for about 2 minutes before serving. The only seasoning I used was fresh ground black pepper.

Side: Crusty bread and olive oil and the soft garlic cloves removed from the skillet before sauteing the chicken.

Wine: The Craggy Range 2008 Te Muna Pinot Noir was a Christmas gift from a daughter and son-in-law, who researched it knowing how much we enjoy Pinto Noir. It was #42 on Wine Spectator's Top 100 of 2010. It was outstanding!

Enjoy,
Jo

No comments: