Google+ Followers

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Jo's Crabcakes




These crabcakes are my own recipe. I consulted other recipes, in my cookbooks and on line, and took a little from here and a little from there ...and no I did not measure exact amounts, so if you prepare this recipe you will have to use "your own judgement"...don't you hate that phrase!!

Let's start with the first course: A Different Greek. The usual "greek salad" ingredients, tomatoes, cucumbers, onion and olives were tossed with a dressing that mixed the feta cheese with the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Italian oregano, and fresh ground pepper.

Entree: Jo's Crabcakes. The canned crabmeat (sorry I forgot to note the brand, but will check it out at the grocer and report later) was mixed with chopped shallot, chopped red bell pepper, two small slices of chopped zucchini, mayo with olive oil, baking powder, worceshire sauce, grated Parmesan, lemon juice, fresh herbs, two egg whites, bread crumbs, and a slight dash of cayenne.

I tried to bake them, following the healthy instructions of Rosie in the Oprah's Favorite Recipes, but either I did not have enough bread crumbs or most likely I had too many other ingredients for them to form appropriately. So after baking for about 5 minutes on one side and unable to flip them intact, I quickly heated a skillet with oil and seared the cakes for about 3 minutes per side. I do not regularly critique my dishes, but these were as tasty a crabcake that I ever had!

Side: Baked Sweet Potato Fries. Cut the potatoes to desired length and width, toss with olive oil and roast in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until done.

Wine: Cutrer

Enjoy,
Jo

No comments: