Google+ Followers

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Bistro Chicken and Next Day Salad



Originally this was a week when I was going to be creative with leftovers which I had frozen, so I had not given much thought to meals. However that monstrous volcano in Iceland prevented my spouse from traveling to England on a business trip. Volcanologists certainly were in the news. Makes you wonder how many other "ologists" there are that one never hears about!

Since the freezer portion of leftovers would not serve two I had to think quick to start the week, so I relied on a dish I had made in the past, (pre-blog)...Bistro Chicken. I made enough that I could use the next day and came up with the salad below. The wonderful smell of the Bistro Chicken must have made us quite hungry because we did not pause to take a picture. So you will need to imagine this juicy, garlicky, rich tasting chicken dish.

Day 1 Entree: Bistro Chicken.This recipe is adapted from the Sonoma Diet Cookbook. The chicken and whole cloves of garlic (not peeled) are sauteed in an oven proof skillet for 3 or 4 minutes. The chicken is then sprinkled with dried and or fresh herbs (basil, thyme, rosemary) and baked covered for about 15 mins. Remove chicken and garlic. White wine and the squeezed garlic are added to the skillet and reduced until the sauce thickens. The chicken is plated and topped with the sauce. I have also added shitake mushrooms to this dish.

Side: Medley of Veggies. Zucchini, carrots, broccoli and scallions are sauteed with herbs and a splash of chicken broth.

Wine: pro-mis-Q-ous, a red blend

Day 2 Entree: Next Day Salad. Lettuce (romaine) is cut and placed on a platter and topped with a layer of tomatoes, followed by miniature purple onions (boiled and squeezed earlier), mini cucumbers, and roasted red tomatoes. The leftover bistro chicken is sliced and placed on top. The dressing is a basic pesto base mixed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Parmesan is shredded on the top of the salad.

Served with crusty bread and bottled water.

I am off on a business trip and then for a family gathering. One of life's precious moments... a baptism. I will catch up when I return. Until then,

Enjoy,
Jo

No comments: