Google+ Followers

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Weeknight Soup



There are more "Silver Palate" tales to tell but I wanted to share a delightful soup that I prepared last night. I even surprised myself because typically I make soup as a last resort...tossing in whatever I have in the frig or cupboard that looks like it does not have much life left, and that is usually how it tastes! But last night's was much different.

Yesterday a chill returned to the air, and we needed something light and quick. I did turn to the pantry but attended the soup this time instead of leaving it on its own.

Entree: Weekday Soup. I sauteed onion and garlic, added chicken broth, a tad of poultry demi-glace, and sherry, and let that reduce and then simmer for about 30 minutes. I then added maybe a 1/3 cup of water and boiled/simmered the cheese tortellini (more torts!!)

I sauteed asparagus pieces,zucchini pieces, more onion, broccoli pieces and carrots, just until tender. This was seasoned with dried oregano, thyme, sage, and fresh ground pepper. The veggies were added to the broth, and heated together just long enough to retrieve the bowls from the oven warmer.

Side: Cheese Bread. Topped crusty bread with grated cheese and tomatoes and broiled.

Tasty! Not overcooking the broth and adding the just tender veggies at the end made the real difference for a fresh tasting soup.

Enjoy,
Jo

No comments: