Google+ Followers

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Snowed in....pantry again!


The snow forced us to cancel plans for a much anticipated evening of fine dining and fine wine. So, for the second time this week I needed to use what was in the pantry to create a meal. Several years ago I read in one of my cooking sources a list of items that one should always have on hand. And although "my list" has varied from time to time I have found this suggestion a very valuable one. My current stocked items include:
Garlic, shallots and onions
Sun-dried tomatoes
Parmesan Cheese
Dried mixed mushrooms
Olive Oil and balsamic vinegar
Sherry, Marsala and Madeira
Basic pesto mix (my own) of garlic and basil
Pasta
Chicken broth
Pine nuts
Roasted Red Peppers (my own)
Anchovy Paste
Dijon Honey Mustard (Maille)
Various dried herbs
Whole Black Pepper

In addition I am hardly ever out of fresh vegetables and fruit and frozen seafood (althou I prefer fresh), Greek and Italian olives, tomatoes, various cheeses, hard crusted bread, and various greens.

And now to my Saturday nite meal. One of the cookbooks that I mentioned in an earlier blog "West Point Market Cookbook" has a recipe for Lemon Artichoke Chicken. Since we had chicken the nite before and because I did not have any on hand I used the basis of the WPM recipe to inspire a Lemon Artichoke Pasta.

My pasta included chicken broth, white wine, lemon juice, basic pesto paste, roasted red peppers, artichokes, Kalamata and Greek green olives, pine nuts, grape tomatoes and Parmesan.

Our wine for this dinner was Hook and Ladder Pinot Noir from another Sonoma winery that we found a few years ago.

Even if you are not snowed in, try this Pasta some evening...it was very tasteful.

enjoy,

jo

No comments: