Google+ Followers

Monday, February 22, 2010

Just pasta, but first a salad


Some days just call for a good red tomato sauce and pasta. But first a Salad: I have named it "Eastern Shore Arugula."

Many years ago I dined in a small town on the Eastern shore of Maryland. I did not know what arugula was and had never had a pine nut, but I was determined to try new food. I recall the salad included very fresh tasting arugula, crisp prosciutto, goat cheese, pine nuts and purple onion. It was a generous portion. The taste of that salad particularly the fresh peppery greens has always stayed with me and arugula quickly became my salad green of choice. I don't recall what the dressing was, but I use my standard olive oil and balsamic dressing.

Tonite the pasta is linguine (Barilla)with a Tomato Basil Sauce from Lucini. Every once in a while I will find a recipe and try to make my own sauce, but most often I turn to the jarred sauces at the grocery. There are many very good ones (Paul Newman, Barilla, local italian delis) and the idea here is quick and easy.

And one cannot do Italian with out crusty bread and dipping oil and a good red wine.

Wine: 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon from Passalacqua.

Enjoy,
jo

No comments: