Google+ Followers

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Saturday night dinner

Tonite is a good nite for Tuna (sushi grade)and it is good night for the two of us to enjoy food that we like and to spend the evening doing so.

The meal will be:
Salad: Tomatoes,(the best you can find this time of year), blue cheese and onion in a balsamic dressing. You can chop or slice which ever you prefer. This salad is based on a salad made at one of our favorite hometown restaurants.

Side vegetable: Broccoli with sauteed shitake mushrooms. Or if you would prefer just steamed asparagus that would also would work as well.

Entree: Tuna coated in a honey mustard panko crust. I have also made this by coating the tuna in black peppercorns (obviously the latter is spicier. I quickly sear it in a hot grill pan and then stick in the oven for just a few minutes, depending on how rare we like it. My husband tends to like his very very rare so mine stays in a little longer.The star of this dish with either the panko/mustard or the black pepper crust is Balsamic Caper Sauce which I found in the January 2009 issue of Gourmet. That receipe used it as a sauce on a polenta crusted chicken. I was not in the mood for chicken, so I thought why not try it on tuna.

And please remember how I first described my cooking...I take ideas from sources not necessarily the specific recipe. Also my purpose for this blog is to provide ideas for dinner, not the actual recipe.

If you drink wine (I don't feel any worthy meal is complete without it, but do respect those who do not "drink") I will recommend a full bodied Pinot Noir.

Enjoy planning, enjoy the cooking and most of all enjoy the dining experience.

jo

1 comment:

Jason said...

Awesome ideas, I love the fact that you're just planting "seeds" instead of the actual recipe. I might get some ideas on pairings that I would have never come up with on my own.